The Innovation Imperative. Today’s nonprofits operate in an landscape of rapid change and shifting expectations from funders, partners, and other key stakeholders. In this environment the ability to innovate is imperative for sustaining funding and meeting the mission.
What is an innovative organization? Innovative organizations are able to rapidly adapt and improve their approaches to assure they are delivering value in a changing landscape. Three focal points for innovative organizations include process innovation, service model innovation, and business model innovation.
How can we build and sustain an innovative organizations? There are five core capabilities of innovative organizations as illustrated in the graphic.
- 1. Adaptive strategy to chart a course for innovation.
- 2. Positive leadership to create a culture of innovation.
- 3. Supportive management to equip people for innovation.
- 4. Creative teamwork to produce innovation.
- 5. An innovative mindset to see, think, and take action for innovation.
At CHS we help nonprofits develop these core capabilities through our focused process of assessment, design, development, execution, and evaluation. We can deliver these supports through strategic consultations, strategic learning programs, or both.