At CHS we help nonprofits build capacity to create community impact and sustain funding to continue the mission. Over the past two decades we’ve helped hundreds of organizations accomplish their goals, including charitable clinics, community health centers, hospitals, health systems, human service agencies, public health agencies, school systems, and more. Scroll down to learn more about our strategy solutions and our extensive strategy toolkit.
A Proven Set of Solutions
In today’s landscape every nonprofit must address the strategic fundamentals of assessing community needs, aligning strategies and programs, evaluating community impact, and demonstrating community value. We offer a set of proven solutions to help organizations optimize each of these fundamentals.
Effective strategy begins with a deep understanding of community needs. We help our clients develop community needs assessments that are strategically focused, timely, and designed to produce authentic insights about pressing community needs. We can help you:
- Define the scope of the community needs assessment
- Analyze quantitative indicators of community health and well-being
- Generate qualitative insights about community needs, assets, gaps, and opportunities
- Develop community maps that illustrate relationships between community needs and assets
- Capture results in a community needs assessment report.
Strategy is a process of defining and refining the goals and strategies for your organization or program. We help our clients design and execute strategies that are focused on delivering value, and adaptable to rapidly changing conditions. We can help you:
- Clarify your mission or purpose
- Analyze the operating landscape
- Identify the community populations you will serve
- Specify intended results and key performance indicators
- Identify key capabilities and partnerships that will be required for effective execution.
- Produce a strategic plan that defines the vision, mission, goals, partners, funders, key actions, key performance indicators, and time horizons.
Strategy is implemented through effective programs and services. We can help you:
- Design programs that are evidence-informed and structured to work in your local context
- Build team capacity for program implementation
- Monitor implementation to keep the program on track
- Facilitate continuous quality improvement to assure the best possible outcomes
- Design and conduct evaluations that are practical and strategically focused to inform key stakeholders
In today’s funding environment it is essential to evaluate community impact in order to demonstrate value to partners, funders, and the community. We help our clients develop evaluation approaches that are practical, affordable, and responsive to questions of interest to key stakeholders. CHS can help you:
- Identify key audiences for evaluation reporting
- Create an efficient evaluation design
- Collect and analyze evaluation data
- Analyze results to inform organizational learning and program improvement
- Report results in ways that demonstrate value to partners, funders, and the community
Demonstrating community value to key stakeholders is a strategic imperative for sustaining funding to continue the mission. We can help you:
- Identify key funders, partners, and other stakeholders who need to understand the value of the organization or program
- Develop key ‘value messages,’ or concise statements of the value your organization delivers
- Develop key ‘value indicators’ that support your value messages (these can be quantitative or qualitative)
- Design a communication strategy to deliver the right information in the right format at the right time
- Optimize the organization’s value strategy over time in response to changes in the operating landscape.
Over decades of experience we have developed an extensive set of tools and techniques to support solutions in community needs assessment, strategic planning, program development, team talent development, and community impact analysis. We mix and match these tools as needed to address the particular objectives of our clients.
- Strategic design and facilitation of meetings among key stakeholders for the purpose of optimizing community needs assessment, strategic development, program development, and community impact.
- Design and delivery of action learning programs to help teams solve challenges, create innovations, and build individual and team skills.
- Strategic assessment and communication of the positive community impact created by a particular organization or program.
- Strategic analysis of community demographics, health indicators, and social indicators to inform community needs assessment, strategic planning, program development, and community impact analysis.
- Strategic design, execution, and analysis of interviews with key stakeholders, either individually or in group settings, to inform community needs assessment, strategic planning, program development, and community impact analysis.
- Strategic analysis of local demographics, geography, and other factors to inform decisions about where to locate community programs and services.
- Strategic mapping and geospatial analysis to foster understanding of community needs and assets as information for community needs assessment, strategic planning, program development, and community impact analysis.
- Strategic planning, execution, and analysis of surveys with community members and other community stakeholders to inform community needs assessment, strategic planning, program development, and community impact analysis.
- Training and technical assistance to help teams apply human-centered design principles in problem-solving and innovation.
- Strategic analysis of current and proposed policies to understand the potential impact on the community and the future of the organization.
- Systematic searching for promising practices, programs, and policies that can be adapted to solve challenges within local organizations and communities,
- Systematic design of programs and services with an emphasis on evidence-based design, and with particular attention to the populations to be served, the individual outcomes to be realized, and community impacts to be achieved.
- Systematic evaluation of programs and serves to determine their affect on individual outcomes and community impacts, with an emphasize on learning, program improvement, and demonstrating community impact.
- Training, tools, technical assistance, and strategy coaching to help teams optimize quality assurance and quality improvement.