Community innovation happens when multiple organizations collaborate to create positive change at the community level. We can describe community innovation in terms of their purpose, setting, focus, and scope, and partners.
- The purpose of community innovation is to improve services, supports, and outcomes for community residents.
- The setting for community innovation could be a neighborhood, city, county, or region.
- The focus for community innovation could encompass a wide range of initiatives affecting the health and well-being of community members, including arts & culture, education, health care, human services, parks and recreation, public health, public safety, community development, and other areas.
- The scope of community innovation could range from improving elements of a single community service to creating a community-wide innovation collaborative.
- The partners in community innovation could include consumers, community-based providers, community funders, and other enablers of community change.
At CHS we help community partners apply a proven model for creating community innovation. Contact us to learn more about applying this model in your community setting.
- Focus. Select a focus for creating positive community change.
- Engage. Engage others as partners in community innovation.
- Explore. Explore the community context surrounding the project.
- Envision. Envision the possibilities for community innovation.
- Commit. Commit to working together on community innovation.
- Design. Design and test innovations using human-centered design principles.
- Implement. Implement and optimize innovations with insight from the people involved.
- Scale. Scale and sustain innovations to maximize community impact.