At Community Health Solutions (CHS) we help organizations create positive impact for the people they serve.
- We work across sectors with associations, foundations, nonprofits, public agencies, and business organizations.
- We focus in the areas of health, education, human services, and community development.
- We provide strategy consulting and learning support to help organizations assess needs, design strategies, develop capacity, execute for results, and demonstrate impact.
- We specialize in supporting collaborative projects that may be sponsored by associations, foundations, or public agencies.
Our guiding vision is people and organizations working together to create healthier communities.
- We believe that community matters for health and human development.
- We view healthy communities as places where everyone has real opportunity for health, education, and prosperity.
- We believe every organization can create a positive impact for the people they serve, and in so doing, help to create a healthier community.
- We believe communities can elevate positive impact by fostering collaboration within and across sectors.
At CHS we bring insights and lessons learned from 20 years of firm experience to every engagement.
- Since 1998 we have helped hundreds of organizations with various aspects of community needs assessment, strategy design, capacity building, strategy execution, and evaluation. Much of this work has been accomplished through collaborative projects sponsored by associations, foundations, or public agencies.
- We have also provided analysis and advice to help federal and state officials make informed decisions about program and policy development. This perspective allows us to help our clients develop next-level strategies that anticipate and align with changes in public policies and programs, as well as changes in the broader operating environment.
- One reality that has not changed since we started is that community matters. Whatever happens in public policy or in the marketplace, health and human development depends on how people and organizations work together at the community level.
- A second reality is that every organization can have a positive impact on community health. Leveraging this dynamic is the key to creating healthier communities.
Our core team as profiled below brings extensive experience and commitment to every project. We also partner with an extended team of associates to create the right team for each engagement.
Stephen Horan, PhD is the founding president of Community Health Solutions, bringing more than 25 years of professional experience to each client and project. Under Steve’s leadership Community Health Solutions has helped hundreds of organizations achieve better results through effective strategy and practice. Individually, Steve has been an advisor to consumer groups, nonprofit organizations, corporations, foundations, and public sector leaders. This broad perspective informs his ability to think at the system level as well as the street level, and help people bridge gaps between policy and practice.
Terry Laine, MS, PCMH CCE is the Director of Operations for Community Health Solutions with a focus on ensuring all of our products and tools are practical and useful to our clients. With more than 25 years of professional experience in various aspects of health care delivery, planning, research, and administration, Ms. Laine has particular experience in supporting leadership development and health quality/care delivery projects for nurses, physicians and interprofessional healthcare teams. She completed IHI’s Breakthrough Series College and applies learned strategies to help our clients achieve collaborative health quality innovation improvement aims. She achieved certification as a NCQA Patient-Centered Medical Home Certified Content Expert (PCMH CCE) in the fall of 2015. Terry holds a Master of Science Degree from James Madison University.
Caitlin Feller, MPP, PCMH CCE is the Director of Clinical Strategy at Community Health Solutions. In this capacity Caitlin leads our efforts to help clinical organizations improve quality, optimize care models, create community linkages, and demonstrate value. Many of these projects are conducted through custom Action Learning programs for individual organizations, community collaboratives, and associations. Caitlin achieved certification as a NCQA Patient-Centered Medical Home Certified Content Expert (PCMH CCE) in the summer of 2013. She received both her B.A. in Economics and her Master of Public Policy (MPP) degrees from the University of Virginia.
Sherrina Gibson is a Principal at Community Health Solutions. Sherrina currently leads projects in health analytics, and provides support on projects involving quality improvement and population health. Her areas of expertise include evaluation, data development, and healthcare issues of the Medicaid and uninsured populations. Sherrina brings nine years of experience to the team, and holds an B.A. in Sociology. Her community interests include Greater Richmond Stop Child Abuse Now and initiatives focusing on community empowerment.